Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:New York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance -Quantum Capital Pro
Rekubit Exchange:New York Times report says Israel knew about Hamas attack over a year in advance
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 16:07:48
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s military was aware of Hamas ' plan to launch an attack on Rekubit ExchangeIsraeli soil over a year before the devastating Oct. 7 operation that killed hundreds of people, The New York Times reported Friday.
It was the latest in a series of signs that top Israeli commanders either ignored or played down warnings that Hamas was plotting the attack, which triggered a war against the Islamic militant group that has devastated the Gaza Strip.
The Times said Israeli officials were in possession of a 40-page battle plan, code-named “Jericho Wall,” that detailed a hypothetical Hamas attack on southern Israeli communities.
It was unclear how the document was obtained by Israel, but the article said that it had been translated — indicating it may have been in Arabic and directly intercepted from Hamas.
The Israeli military declined to comment on the report, saying it was “currently focused on eliminating the threat from the terrorist organization Hamas.”
“Questions of this kind will be looked into in a later stage,” it said.
The document was seen by many Israeli military and intelligence officials, the report said, though it was unclear if Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu or other top leaders had seen it.
The document predicted that Hamas would bombard Israel with rockets, use drones to disable Israel’s security and surveillance abilities at the border wall, and take over southern communities and military bases. Another 2016 Israeli defense memo obtained by the Times said Hamas intended to take hostages back to Gaza.
The Oct. 7 attack — in which 1,200 people were killed and 240 people were abducted and taken to Gaza — would uncannily mirror the one outlined in the battle plan. But Israeli officials had brushed off the plan, the report said, dismissing it as “aspirational” rather than something that could practically take place, the report said.
The report comes amid public fury toward the government of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for failing to prevent an attack that appears to have been preceded by numerous warning signs.
The attack was planned in plain sight. A month before the assault, Hamas posted a video to social media showing fighters using explosives to blast through a replica of the border gate, sweep in on pickup trucks and then move building by building through a full-scale reconstruction of an Israeli town, firing automatic weapons at human-silhouetted paper targets.
In the video, the militants destroyed mock-ups of the wall’s concrete towers and a communications antenna, just as they would do for real on Oct. 7.
Adding to public outrage over the military’s apparent negligence, the Israeli media has reported that military officials dismissed warnings from female border spotters who warned that they were witnessing Hamas’ preparations for the attack. According to the media reports, the young women reported seeing Hamas drones and attempts to knock out Israeli border cameras in the months leading up to the attack.
Netanyahu has stopped short of apologizing for the attack, and has said that determining blame will have to come after the war is waged. Critics say he is attempting to escape responsibility for myriad intelligence failures leading to the deadliest day in Israeli history.
veryGood! (471)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- From snow squalls to tornado warnings, the U.S. is being pummeled with severe storms this week. What do these weather terms mean?
- Cooper, Medicaid leader push insurance enrollment as North Carolina Medicaid expansion also grows
- AEW star Adam Copeland revels in the 'joy' of war god Ares in Disney+'s 'Percy Jackson'
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Biden administration to provide summer grocery money to 21 million kids. Here's who qualifies.
- Why Travis Kelce Feels “Pressure” Over Valentine’s Day Amid Taylor Swift Romance
- Tonight's Republican debate in Iowa will only include Nikki Haley and Ron DeSantis. Here's what to know.
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Program to provide cash for pregnant women in Flint, Michigan, and families with newborns
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- 18-year-old accused of shooting man 15 times, hiding body in air mattress: Court docs
- Lisa Rinna's Confession About Sex With Harry Hamlin After 60 Is Refreshingly Honest
- Music streams hit 4 trillion in 2023. Country and global acts — and Taylor Swift — fueled the growth
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Women make up majority of law firm associates for the first time: Real change is slow.
- Tennessee governor, music leaders launch push to protect songwriters and other artists against AI
- AI-generated ads using Taylor Swift's likeness dupe fans with fake Le Creuset giveaway
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Federal judge says Alabama can conduct nation’s 1st execution with nitrogen gas; appeal planned
Man armed with assault rifle killed after opening fire on Riverside County sheriff’s deputies
For IRS, backlogs and identity theft are still problems despite funding boost, watchdog says
Sam Taylor
Freckle tattoos are a thing. But read this before you try the viral trend.
Hangout Music Festival 2024 lineup: Lana Del Rey, Odesza, Zach Bryan to headline
House committee holds first impeachment hearing for DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas